Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Art of a Taco Salad - for Julie


I thought for today's glimpse into my life I would dive into my world of cooking and my affinity for Mexican food as well. If I could eat salsa and chips everyday, I would, but all of us ladies know, that isn't feasible...only in Heaven :)

One of my favorite, quick and easy meals is the almighty Taco Salad...so much Mexican goodness packed into a bowl. Ole!

It all starts with the beef. If you don't have good beef, your base is going to be all off! Since Kathryn and I are attempting to be healthy so we go for a 93-7 lean ground beef. It is essential to drain the beef by putting paper towels into a colander and shake up the meat before adding the taco beef seasoning. I know some of you are groaning at the thought of not having flavorful grease, but you'll thank yourself when you're 70!

Fresh fixings make all the difference in the world as well...personally, I'll shred some lettuce, cut up some non salmonella tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and throw in some black beans, and a little bit of cheese. Plus how could I ever forget about the ever amazing guacamole and fresh salsa!!! If you're going for a low-carb option, cut out the chips, but if not...I prefer the yellow corn Tostitos.

Feel free to bum this concoction or make it your own by adding other ingredients. Make every day Cinco de Mayo :)

Adios, mis amigos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! Sounds delicious... I too do the paper towel collander trick! I think you need to host a Mexican Fiesta!

Travis and Natalie Riley said...

i love taco salad's too...sometimes instead of tostitos i get a little crazy and use fritos...i've heard some people even toss a little coconut on top, not my style but i hear its good...